So here’s the dilemma. Ice is having a Halloween party on Monday and I don’t have a costume! I need your help coming up with ideas. I’d love to keep it fashion focused or related to celebrities and pop culture. No Snooki suggestions please LOL.
Here are some fashionable costume ideas:
– Kate Middleton including her famous sapphire engagement ring which we have at Ice. My lovely co-worker Tammy will be rocking this look on Monday, fascinator and all. Can’t wait to see it! (FYI, fascinators are those crazy hats the Brits wear at weddings)
– Flapper Girl: 1920’s style bad girl adorned in long pearl necklaces, short hair, black stockings & lots of feathers. This would be a fun idea and is the one that I’m seriously considering.
– Marilyn Monroe: I do have an old pink bridesmaid dress I can wear with tons of Ice diamond jewelry to resemble the blond bombshell’s look in the movie Gentleman Prefer Blondes.
– Kardashian Sisters: Slap on some animal print, super high heels, bronzer, large earrings and you can be any one of the K sisters.
What do you think of these costume ideas? Can you help me come up with something else?
While diamonds may be a girl’s best friend, pearls aren’t far behind – they are elegant, refined and timeless enough to instantly elevate any look. However, many women may not be aware of the best ways to wear and care for their pearls.
The natural oils on your skin are good for pearls, and will help them maintain their luster. However, if you are wearing a necklace, don’t wear perfume or makeup on your neck, as the substances could harm and discolor the pearls.
Additionally, think twice before sporting strands of pearls in warm weather – your skin’s oils may be beneficial to the pretty pieces, but sweat, which is naturally acidic, is not good for them.
If you notice that your pearls look dull or dirty, you can easily clean the jewelry as long as you’re careful. Wash the pieces in distilled water, using a mild baby soap and a soft, natural-bristle brush. Then rinse the pearls in distilled water, pat them dry with a soft cloth and lay the items out until the string is completely dry.
For extra shine, pearls can be rubbed with a bit of olive oil after cleaning. To keep them looking lustrous between washes, gently wipe pearls with a soft cloth after wearing.
Pearls are classic, but they’re also current and hip. Here’s how to elevate them from timeless to timely.
1. Pair them with silver. After you’ve thrown on your leather coat and are finishing off the look, stack on silver bangles which will offer a sexy contrast to the feminine strand of pearls around your neck. The juxtaposition of the metal against the pearls offers an updated twist to your appearance.
2. Layer your pearls. The more the merrier in this case. Instead of one sweet pearl necklace, pile them on and be sure to choose strands of different lengths. By layering different lengths, sizes and colors, you create an interesting look that says you’re a girly girl with some edge.
3. Wear them with casual threads. Most women use pearls to dress up an ensemble, but they can go with low-key items too. Throw on a pair of jeans and your favorite knee high boots and top off the look with a pair of pearl studs or a long pearl necklace.
The summer months were made for relaxation. Long weekends lying out on the beach, barbecues with friends and campfires under the stars are perfect ways to decompress. Shouldn’t your jewelry be as simple and effortless as your sun-filled days?
In the summer time, we suggest embracing a minimalist attitude toward jewelry that will allow you to easily accessorize all of your favorite warm-weather outfits.
Find a few classic investment pieces that will work with everything, and wear them everywhere you go.
A simple pearl necklace will take you from the office to cocktails or a backyard garden party without any extra fuss. And, the smooth and lustrous pearls will feel soft against your skin no matter how hot it gets outside.
A silver cuff bracelet is ideal for those who like to spend a lot of time in the great outdoors. It will look fine whether you’re camping, hiking, hanging poolside or at work.
A pair of diamond stud earrings is the perfect solution for women on-the-go in the summer. The ice will sparkle in the sunlight, glimmer at candlelit parties, and never become tangled in your windblown hair.
No matter which pieces you choose as your signature accessories, it’s important that you opt for items that match your overall style and will be comfortable for you to wear on a daily basis. By choosing simple jewelry that will work for every occasion, you’ll always feel elegant and appropriate in what you have on.
Many men feel a lot of pressure when it comes to picking out heirloom jewelry for the women in their lives. Whether they’re worried about choosing a piece that suits their wives’ tastes or picking out an item that their daughters will like, there are a lot of things to consider.
Guys – you can’t go wrong with the classics. Simple and elegant pearl earrings and necklaces are timeless and will last the women you love their whole lives, as will diamond studs or rubies. Beautiful pieces now can become family heirlooms later.
A plain gold pendant with a family crest engraved on it, or a meaningful family motto inscribed inside, will make for a considerate and touching gift. Women will appreciate the thought behind it as much as they love the look of it.
Search for subtle jewelry that won’t go out of fashion, and the women you love will wear these items forever!
Pearls, Mother Nature’s gift to us girls, can complement any look or style. While some ladies may equate a string of pearls with the likes of June Cleaver and Donna Reed, pearls have been making waves as a hip and trendy piece that any modern day woman can wear.
We recommend taking the following factors into account when purchasing these beauties:
1) Pearl Personality. In other words, make sure what you buy matches your disposition. If you’re loud and outgoing try something daring like pistachio-colored or blue baroque pearls. If you’re shy and a little quiet, maybe sport a single white one as a ring.
2) Pearl Portion. When purchasing a pearl necklace, the longer, the better. While our moms may go for shorter, choker-type necklaces, a string of pearls can be long and beautiful. The look screams conservative-chic.
3) Pearl Proficiency. Make sure you know your stuff. When you shop for pearls, the variety of shape, size and color are bound to make you dizzy. Before you go shopping, get some education under your belt. Pearls come in shapes such as round, drop, pear, egg and button, and colors range from white and cream to yellow and rose.
Ladies should remember that pearls are fun and fantastic jewelry pieces. And stay tuned for an updated post that will dig deep into pearl education 101!
Next to parents, teachers may very well be the most important people in our kid’s lives. They care for them five days a week for almost 10 months out of the year. Teachers can teach us a thing or two about a professional yet easy care style.
I recently sat down with my teacher friend Robin (she’s 37) and asked her about her casual chic style. Here’s what she shared with me:
What’s one piece of jewelry that you think is a “must have”?
Other than my wedding rings, it has to be earrings. I think it’s good to keep earrings classic and simple. I generally stick with smaller diamond or pearl earrings – nothing too dangly or flashy. I want to be taken seriously by parents and co-workers. More conservative jewelry helps me do that. I have a pair of sapphire earrings my husband gave me for my birthday one year that I wear all the time!
Do you ever feel that you slip into the “schoolmarm” look?
Ha! Teaching is fast paced and you have to be ready for anything. So expensive and fancy clothes will just get ruined. No high heels here! I think that be taking fresh fabrics and a more sporty approach keeps me from looking like a fuddy-duddy.
What about necklaces?
Well, long necklaces are problematic. If you lean over students to check their work, you can hit them in the head with a long necklace! I wear a diamond solitaire pendant a lot. It has a shorter chain that keeps it out of the way. I also wear a shorter pearl necklace a lot too.
What about the kids? Do you see any fashion trends popping up in what the kids wear to school?
Well, I am constantly surprised at what parents let their kids wear to school! Seriously, they must be really busy in the morning or have given up the fight. A lot of kids are wearing bright colors and lots of stripes – both are not good for me! Of course girls still love flashy costume jewelry and I have to ask them to put it back in their book bags all the time. I think what I like best about working with young people is their fresh attitude. They mix things up and see the world with optimistic eyes. It’s really the best part of my job – the kids.
Many moviegoers are excited to see the latest Tim Burton film, Alice in Wonderland, on the big screen.
The director’s stylized take on the timeless tale is sure to inspire the fashion world, and we’re betting that this spring will see a rise in simple and girlish jewelry as a result of the film.
The film follows 19-year-old Alice (Mia Wasikowska) as she makes her way down the rabbit hole for a second time and finds herself embroiled in a subversive plot against Wonderland’s cruel and greedy Red Queen (Helena Bonham Carter).
Alice is the epitome of Edwardian grace and simplicity, and as such we expect that she might inspire a few clean-cut and simple ensembles accessorized with classic pearl earrings, a delicate gold locket or a sweet and simple charm bracelet.
In the film itself, Alice sports a sparkling gold charm on a thin gold chain.
If there are any garden parties or casual soirees in your future, channel the sweet and chic literary character’s style for a totally fresh look.
I was recently out and about at a charity art auction and spotted the women pictured here and her great outfit. I spoke to her and she said that she bought her dress at a local thrift shop! Can you imagine? That dress was such a find! Even though she’s already super skinny, the dress fits her well because the waistline rests right at her thinnest area. The way the dress gathers at the waist poofs out the dress a bit and hides any hippy imperfections she might have. The clingly black top is also very slimming. The hemline accentuates her long legs. It’s a great look!
She pairs this classy look with a multiple stand pearl necklace with a dramatically large clasp. It’s a great way to add presence to a relatively simple ensemble. A pearl ring is a great way to complete the look. While pearls are relatively delicate gems and needs special care, they make for really unique rings.
Of course, you don’t have to stick to a traditional white pearl necklace. Dusky and dramatic, black pearls are the perfect look for someone who craves opulence and intrigue. Black pearl jewelry is a great addition to you jewelry collection. It’s perfect for an evening out!