I’ve mentioned to you in the past some fun facts about January’s birthstone – Garnet. After some digging I found some other great info on this gemstone.
1. Protection: Garnet was said to protect in the night. Whether you were an ancient traveler or just have a nightmare garnet would protect you and be used to light your way in the dark night.
2. Success: It is believed that if your business is not as successful as it should be, you can place three garnets on your desk to bring you growth in your business.
3. Pomegranate: Garnet comes from the Latin word granatus, which many believe comes from malum granatum – the pomegranate plant. Garnets resemble the seeds of this fruit with it’s red tones and shape as you can see in the picture to the right.
4. Rhodolite and Tsavorite are two of the more popular types of garnet in jewelry, after the most common red garnet of course. Rhodolite is a beautiful raspberry red and tsavorite is a light green. Garnet also comes in other colors such as orange, yellow, brown and several more.
5. Largest Garnet in the world was found by a student in Australia in 1996. The single garnet was nearly 100 feet across!! I wonder how much jewelry could be made with that.