I know it’s hard to believe but February is already here and it’s the month of one of my favorite gemstones, Amethyst. Last year I mentioned a few fun facts about Amethyst and now I have a few more to share with you plus some tips about wearing Amethyst.
1. Beware of sunlight – If possible, try to avoid wearing natural amethyst stones in sunlight. These stones are quite sensitive and their color fades in direct sunlight or when put near heat. In certain lighting Amethyst can also appear colorless. So if you’re planning on vacationing on a beach, I’d recommend you leave your Amethyst jewelry safely at home.
2. Positive Aura - In India, they place an amethyst stone between the eyebrows to calm the mind and to help achieve inner peace and enhance positive energy. Indians claim it helps control emotions.
3. Stone of Love - Legend says that St. Valentine wore an Amethyst ring. In the Middle Ages, if a heart-shaped amethyst set in silver was given by a wife to her husband, it would bring the newlyweds happiness and peace of remainder of their lives.
4. Fit for royalty – Purple has long been associated as a royal color. Since this rich color is found in Amethysts, this stone was often worn by royal families. The darker the stone, the more valuable it is. These days, royals do not wear amethyst as much since this stone has been discovered more frequently making it more affordable for us commoners.
5. Protection - Amethyst is said to protect against seduction and prevents you from getting too intoxicated when drinking alcohol. Some farmers also kept Amethyst on hand to protect their crops and others used it to protect against wild animals or in battle.
It’s always so interesting to read about all the facts and folklore on our favorite gemstones.
Are you celebrating a birthday this month? Tell us in the comments below.