Even though you might see the colors red and green plastered everywhere with Christmas on it’s way, the real color of the month is blue. Cool icy blue topaz is December’s birthstone and without a doubt one of the most popular gemstones at Ice. Here’s a few fun facts about blue topaz that you might not have known.
1. There are three main shades of blue topaz – Sky, Swiss and London Blue. Sky and Swiss are on the lighter side while London Blue is a much deeper blue color, almost resembling sapphire. (The ring pictured to the right features both London blue and sky blue topaz.)
2. It is believed that topaz can cool boiling water when thrown into a pot (and to cool down hot tempers as well). I will believe it without trying it – wouldn’t want to risk damaging my blue topaz jewelry. ; )
3. Topaz is actually near colorless or white but through natural or man-made heat the stones come in a variety of colors. Aside from the most popular blue, you can find topaz in pink, yellow, red, green and several other color variations.
4. When gifted to a loved one, the blue topaz symbolizes eternal love and faithfulness.
5. There are also two alternative blue gemstones known to be December’s birthstone – Tanzanite and Turquoise. Each are different but all have a beautiful blue color.