Turkey day is approaching, which means it’s time to consider what you’re wearing to one of the biggest meals of the year. Selecting the perfect piece of jewelry and outfit can sometimes seem a bit daunting, but this year there are a few trends that will easily complement your fall wardrobe. Continue reading
Everywhere you look in the month of November you are likely to be surrounded by colorful leafs falling to the ground. The yellow, orange and reds covering the ground give me a warm feeling. November’s birthstone Citrine does a marvelous job at capturing that warm Fall feeling. Here’s a few things you might not have known about November’s birthstone.
Yellow Quartz: Citrine is a yellow Quartz ranging in color from a pale-yellow to brown. Lovers of canary diamonds might find a new love in Citrine since they are similar in color.
Optimism: If you’re feeling down or uninspired apparently you should put on some Citrine. It is believed this gemstone promotes creativity, helps with your personal clarity and also eliminate self-destructive tendencies. I’ll keep this in mind next time I’m in need of a little motivation.
Protection: In ancient times, Citrine was worn to protect against the plague, snake venom and evil thoughts. Yikes! Glad those are the least of our problems these days. ; )
Lucky 13: If you’re looking for an anniversary gift after thirteen years of marriage, Citrine is the official gemstone for this celebration. I’m sure all the wives out there would not complain by receiving any jewelry after so many years of marriage. Even if you aren’t celebrating 13 years of marriage, the number 13 has always taken the roll of being a bad luck number. Citrine is here to turn that around. Wear citrine jewelry to ward off the bad luck and bring on the good. It’s warm and radiant color emits positive energy for the wearer and everyone around wearer.
Alternative Birthstones: Citrine is often confused with yellow and gold topaz (an alternative November birthstone) as they look very similar, but don’t be fooled, the Topaz alternative is much more expensive than Citrine. This reason why Citrine is more commonly known as November’s primary birthstone, and not topaz, is because topaz comes in a variety of colors besides yellow and Blue Topaz is December’s birthstone.
Do you like the look of Citrine? All month long you can save on these Citrine jewelry pieces. View our entire collection of Citrine jewelry.
Let us know what you think about Citrine jewelry and share your photos of your favorite Citrine pieces.
Thanks for reading and have an Ice day!
Arguably on par with the diamond, pearls are the most enduring and timeless gemstone you can own. Throughout various mythologies, pearls are nearly always symbolic of wisdom, women, water and the moon, but they’re a symbol of class, power and sophistication. With that in mind, it’s no wonder they’re worn throughout history by female heads of state and celebrities alike. I thought I’d share some fun facts about pearls, how to clean them, and why they are one of the most unique gemstones.
1. The oldest known pearl jewelry was found in the sarcophagus of a Persian princess who died in 520 BC. It’s currently on display at the Louvre in Paris and is believed to have magical properties!
2. Pearls are extremely unique because they’re the only gemstone made from living creatures turned into beautiful organic matter. As most of you already know, pearls are made mainly from oysters through a process that works as a natural defense mechanism for the sea creatures.
3. Pearls are known for their creamy white colors, but can also be found in gold, purple, black and more.
4. The famous La Peregrina pearl was smuggled out of Spain to Napoleon and later purchased at an auction by Richard Burton who gave it to Elizabeth Taylor as an anniversary present, which can be seen here
5. Not only is Margarita a sensational cocktail but the name Margarita actually means pearl.
Ok, fine, that last fun fact is not exactly insightful or related to history, but I’m sure plenty of powerful women have enjoyed a good margarita.
It’s important to clean and maintain your pearls so they look as “pearly white” as possible. Pearls should always be worn last to avoid getting makeup and hairspray on them. Pearls are different than all other gemstones since they come from the sea so don’t ever wash them with harsh chemicals. Instead try using a soft, microfiber cloth with warm water and a small amount of mild soap.
Another small trick for pearls that most people don’t know is that the natural oils on your skin are good for them and will help them maintain their luster. But don’t confuse skin oils with sweat! Sweat is naturally acidic and is not good for pearls. No running or playing sports with your pearls, no matter how good you look in them.
Pearls are a wonderful gemstone and can be worn in many occasions whether you’re cooking a meal for your loved one, getting ready for a night on the town or stepping into an important job interview. Check out our selection of pearl jewelry at Ice.com to find the perfect fit for your day and/or night adventure.
As always, comment below with your questions or share with us some pictures and stories about your beautiful pearl jewelry.
Have an Ice day!
Halloween’s right around the corner! Have you gotten your costume or outfit ready for a spooktacular weekend? At Ice.com, we’ve all been talking about our costumes and what we are doing this year to celebrate a good time. If you haven’t had time to get a costume ready or are still confused, we will help with some easy costume ideas. If you are going to a dressy, sleek party, we have some great Halloween style jewelry to pair with a dark and mysterious dress.
So you must be curious what the Ice.com team is dressing up as for Halloween right?
- Dustin is going to be a safari guide and his wife and baby are going to be mommy and baby kangaroo!
- My girlfriend and I are going to be Raggedy Ann and Andy, pretty cheesy right?
- Leah and her group are going as a flock of my little pony’s, who would’ve thought?
- Ian and his wife are going as Princess Leia and Han Solo…may the force be with them.
Some of us are trick-or-treating, others are going to costume parties and some plan to stay in their costume all weekend! It’s going to be an exciting weekend of scares and spooks. If you’re having trouble deciding on a costume, fear not, we have you covered. Try out one of these three easy costume ideas. If they don’t work out hopefully they can help stem an idea.
1. Zombies (best done in groups): just get some old clothes, rip em up and get em dirty. Add some smears of fake blood wherever you see fit. To top it all off practice walking with a little limp or drag one of your legs behind you and grunt a lot. You can also say “brrraaaaains” as many times as you like.
2. Greek God/Goddess: This is one step up from a toga. Grab yourself a white sheet and create a custom toga however you like. Tie a gold belt around your waist and find some fake wire leaves to wrap around your arms and head. Adorn with gold snake jewelry for added effect.
3. Waldo: Get a red and white striped shirt, blue jeans, red beany and big circular black glasses. The point of this costume is to photo bomb everyone and to lose your friends throughout the night so they have to find you.
4. Fortune Teller: All you need is a cheap muumuu (Savers/Goodwill), a scarf or turban, sandals, makeup and some bling. You can make a crystal ball using a goldfish bowl and glue a bunch of glitter to the inside. The best part is you get to predict everyone’s future and fortune all night.
5. Miss America (for the ladies…or brave men): Choose an old prom or flashy dress, get a sash and crown and sprinkle glitter all over the sash. Don’t forget about your parade wave, it seals the deal.
Now, if you are one who likes to get all dressed up in a mysterious and dark dress (maybe some black lipstick and eye liner) for Halloween, we have some great jewelry pieces to help bring out the spooky, yet sexy look.
1. We especially like black/black & white themed jewelry for Halloween so check out this black diamond spider pendant. Stylish and spooky.
2. Next we have a black and white diamond figure eight pattern silver ring. This super-sized cocktail ring pairs perfectly with the spider pendant and adds a spooky sparkle to your finger. Pair it with some dark black nail polish for the perfect effect.
3. Make sure your eyes stand out with these all black stainless steel dangle earrings. The intricate design adds a bit of mystery to your midnight outfit.
4. Last, but not least, we have a black and white diamond snake bangle bracelet. We know an outfit is great with spiders, but it’s even better with snakes and spiders.
We will be having a great time this Halloween weekend at Ice.com. It will be full of creepy costumes, spooky parties and trick or treating until the wolves are howling. We want you to have a great weekend too so remember to be safe and most importantly, have fun! We’d love it if you sent us pictures of your costumes and we will be sure to do the same.
Tell us about your costume, what you’ll be doing this weekend or the jewelry you’ll be wearing. We like to hear it all. As always, thanks for reading and have a spooktacular Halloween weekend!
Earrings are one of the most important pieces of jewelry for several reasons: they’re the first thing seen during any encounter since earrings are parallel to your eyes. Earrings help bring out your eye color, hair color, skin tone and facial features as well. Earrings are what people get to connect to your face to remember you by so be sure to choose a beautiful pair that suits you well. While there are many unique types and styles, Ice.com will make the choosing process much easier by defining every aspect of earrings and what outfit they suit best.
*click on the titles for a preview of each earring style and back type
Types of earrings*:
1.Drop Earrings (also known as dangle/chandelier earrings) dangle from the ear and are created from precious metals featuring a single or combination of gemstones, diamonds, pearls or only metals. Drop Earrings can hang just below the ear or can reach near your shoulders and are paired best with dresses (short, long, vintage and modern alike).
2.Stud Earrings are the smallest and simplest type of earring. Studs normally consist of one diamond, gemstone, pearl or metal ball that appear to float in front of the earlobe, but are held together with a post that goes through the ear piercing. Studs are the most universal earring style and can be worn with any look or outfit including casual, professional, active and dressy.
3.Hoop Earrings are exactly how they sound. Hoop earrings are circular or oval shaped made from precious metals alone or can be studded with gemstones, diamonds and pearls. Hoop earrings are prefect to wear with tube tops and dresses to accentuate your bare neck. If you want to spice up a plain t-shirt or v-neck, solid metal hoops are a perfect pairing. Remember that hoop earrings are normally larger than your ears so they can get heavy and tiresome when worn for a long period of time.
Types of earring backs and hooks:
1.Push Backs are the most common type of earring backing. Push backs are made up of a straight post inserted into a small metal piece held behind your ear. These are commonly found in studs and are also referred to as “butterfly backs” because of their distinct metal shape.
2.Screw Ins are as simple as it sounds. This backing style is similar to push backs in that instead of “pushing back” to clip in, they have grooves that screw into a secure backing behind the ear. These are more commonly found in expensive earring pieces to ensure the earrings never slip.
3.Hinge Backs, also known as french or omega backs is a loop of metal that is placed through the ear and hinges around the back to keep the earring secure.
4.Latch Backs are most commonly seen on hoop earrings and contain a hinged post that goes through the ear and snaps securely in place on the other side. Some latch back posts go straight through the ear and directly into a hole in the earring itself to hide any sign of earring back.
5.Lever Backs are made of a fishhook of metal that goes through the ear and secures itself to a hinged lever hidden behind the ear. This style is perfect for larger earrings.
6.Shepherd Hooks, also known as french wire and fish hooks, are used with drop earring styles because they rely on the weight of the earring to hold itself in place. The shepherd hook is made up of a curved wire that looks a lot like a shepherd’s staff (or fish hook if you’re a fisher), often with the earring attached to the hook that slides straight through the ear and hangs there. While this method is very secure, you can buy a plastic end to slide up the end of the hook which will hold it in place all the time.
Tips for buying earrings:
1.The perfect, never-go-wrong, earring gift is one including the receivers birthstone. Birthstones are always meaningful and held dear to the wearer. Another earring go to are studs as they are the most universal and versatile earring style.
2.Buy lighter weight studs or drop earrings for first time wearers so the earrings don’t weigh their ears down and feel uncomfortable.
3.If you aren’t sure whether you’re allergic to certain types of jewelry, always go with nickel-free earrings. This will be written clear in the earring description.
4.As said in tip 1, the weight of the earring makes a big difference in comfort and appearance. A heavy earring will wear out and irritate your ears much quicker and will also make your ears droop so know what your ears can handle.
5.As always, if you’re unsure about what you want or earring types and styles feel free to ask our jewelry experts. They are glad to help you choose the best earrings for any outfit and occasion.
Remember that the jewelry buying process is always fun and exciting because you’re investing in something that will stay with you for many years to come. Jewelry isn’t just a fashion item, but adds enhancements to your looks, features, skin tone, hair color and so much more. Choose colors and styles you love or try something new and bold to create a whole new look for yourself. Whatever your decision, Ice.com is here to help make the process as fun and simple as possible.
Be sure to check out our latest line up of earrings here and let us know what new pieces you’d like to see in the future and ask any questions or comments you have below!
Thanks for reading and shopping with Ice.com,
Ice.com has supported Breast Cancer Awareness month (and year) for as long as we can remember. We know just about everyone here has helped a friend or family member diagnosed with cancer. The support from loved ones is an immeasurable help throughout their battle. Ice.com believes that one of the fastest ways to reach a cure is through awareness, which is why we love seeing the pink ribbon and any other pink wearable items (clothing, flowers, stickers, jewelry ;) ) to show support.
Ice.com wants to spread the word and show you how you can help quicken the cure! The National Breast Cancer Coalition (NBCC) has declared a deadline to end breast cancer, setting a target of January 1, 2020. Ice.com has been supporting this deadline for several years and know it can be reached.
Here are some things you need to know about breast cancer and being aware:
1. Breast Cancer is the most commonly diagnosed cancer in women.
2. 1 in 8 women will be diagnosed with breast cancer in their lifetime.
3. Each year more than 220,000 women in the U.S. are diagnosed with breast cancer.
While these numbers are scary, they are on the decline year over year. Continuing this trend is up to all of us: it starts with word of mouth and your support. Stay in the know by checking out the National Breast Cancer Foundation website on how you can help support the cause.
Ice.com is also showcasing a Think Pink Jewelry Sale to support and raise awareness for Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Check out the jewelry pieces here and save 10% on all pink jewelry throughout October. Use code PINK10 at checkout.
Above all, the most important thing is to get checked regularly and make sure you are up to date on breast cancer information and resources.
We’d love to hear your stories and how you support the cause so please share below.
October’s Opals are quite the unique gemstone. They definitely don’t resemble many of the traditional gemstones we’re most familiar with and they look like you’re staring into a crystal ball. Come learn how to predict the future (your happiness) with opal facts and knowledge.
1. History: Thousands of years ago, rulers often wore the glittering orbs to guard their power and ensure their safety. These stones were placed in their crowns to protect themselves from enemies and ward off evil. At times, opals were even ground up and consumed to protect an individual from nightmares and evil spirits (although we don’t recommend this). In modern times opals are known to bring about happiness and confidence for the wearer.
2. Play of Color: Opals are most commonly found in ‘white,’ however within these white opals there is a rainbow-like iridescence which changes the colors that appear in the stone depending on the angle it is viewed at giving the opal a crystal ball look.
4. Opals come in many types: Mainly you can find opals in white, but you may find black opals, fire opals and crystal opals. Both the white and black variety have the play of color attribute, but fire opals do not. Ice also has stunning pink opal jewelry which is a type of fire opal. The best part about opals is that any angle you look at your stone, will show new amazing colors radiating within the piece.
3. Caring for opals: Since this stone is medium to soft you should be extra careful with it. I would recommend if you are wearing an opal ring to remove it when cleaning, working out or doing any sports and if you plan on going out be sure to put on makeup and hair products before you put your opal jewelry on. Do not use any harsh chemicals to clean it – simply wipe with a damp cloth. If you will not be wearing your opal jewelry for awhile, store it in a small plastic bag with a wet napkin so it doesn’t dry out and crack.
5. Opals on Mars: Several years ago in 2008, NASA announced the discovery of opal deposits on Mars! Since opal is made up of mostly water this means that Mars may have been wet for billions of years than previously thought which indicates it may have supported life. Fascinating!
Happy birthday to all the October babies this month! Check out our black, white and pink opals right here.
Be sure to comment below with any questions about opals or jewelry, we are always here to help you find the next best piece to add to your collection.
Have an Ice day!
There’s nothing worse than choosing your whole outfit based off of a favorite piece of jewelry and realizing it’s tarnished or dull-looking. You’ll start to completely change your outfit, shoes, hair style and purse just because your favorite necklace and earrings were looking a little under the weather and you have no time to get polish from the store or take it to a professional.
It’s easy to panic when your jewelry is looking worn out because those pieces mean a lot to you, but fear not, Ice.com is here to tell you that your jewelry will shine and sparkle like new in 5 minutes with common household items.
- Diamond, gemstone, gold and silver jewelry: The Alka Seltzer Trick
- Drop two tablets of plain Alka Seltzer in a glass of water and let tablets dissolve.
- Place your dull looking jewelry in the glass and let it sit for a couple minutes.
- Remove jewelry and dry with a clean towel or microfiber cloth.
- Enjoy the new sparkle and shine of your jewelry
- Silver jewelry: The Baking Soda Remedy (removes built-up tarnish from your silver)
- Mix 1/4 cup baking soda and two tablespoons of water to make a thick paste.
- Apply paste to silver jewelry with a damp sponge.
- Rinse the paste off and buff dry.
- Note: Use with silver jewelry only. This solution can loosen glue on gemstone jewelry and may damage their finish.
- Untarnished Gold
- Mix a few drops of mild dish detergent in warm water and place gold jewelry in solution.
- Carefully brush gold with a soft toothbrush.
- Rinse and dry with a towel or microfiber cloth.
- Tarnished Gold
- Same method as untarnished gold, but add a few drops of ammonia to the dish detergent and warm water solution
- Pearls: The Au Natural Method. Pearls are said to look best when they’ve been worn because they lose their lustre if they get too clean so use the oils in your own skin! Pop on your pearls for a few hours to get dull pearls looking their best.
- If you feel you must clean stained pearls, use a drop of mild detergent (no more) in a bowl of warm water.
- Place your pearls in a colander to minimize handling and dip in the solution several times.
- Rinse thoroughly in clean water and pour on a towel to dry or use a chamois leather cloth and softly hand dry.
- Like these solutions, there are many jewelry cleaning home remedies that work, but also a lot that can hurt your jewelry so be careful when looking for a quick fix. It’s always best to consult with the experts, like us :) so you don’t end up having to take your jewelry to a professional. Best practice is to store your jewelry separate from other pieces so they aren’t scratched, keep it away from water and out of the pools and wipe it with a microfiber cloth after each wear to strengthen the sparkle and shine.
The jewelry experts at Ice.com are always here to help so comment below, message us at firstname.lastname@example.org or chat with us live at Ice.com with any and all questions.
Have an Ice day,
Many unfortunate silver jewelry owners stumble on the “ol toothpaste method” when looking to find cheap/easy ways to clean their silver jewelry. Sadly, what’s very unclear is that the same chemical used to keep your teeth clean can eat at your fine jewelry.
This is especially true when talking about silver, which is a very sensitive metal. The damage that toothpaste can cause may be so severe that only a professional jeweler will be able to fix it. Toothpaste will also scuff the surface on amber, opal, turquoise and other soft stones resulting in the fine polish to be permanently marred.
So how do you maintain and clean your silver jewelry?:
General Maintenance: gently wipe off excess make-up and skin oils after each wear using a smooth, 100% cotton cloth using only the soft pads of your fingers. This will increase the shimmer and shine of your jewelry.
Store Bought Remedy: Find a 100% cotton cloth and a good nonabrasive metal cleaner. We prefer Weiman Royal Sterling Silver Polish. Rub that on the silver (avoid gemstones!) and then rinse thoroughly. It’s important to remember that sterling silver is extremely soft. Even your fingernails can dent the metal.
Home Remedy (can be used with silver, gold, diamonds and gemstones)
- Drop two tablets of plain Alka Seltzer in a glass of water and add jewelry.
- Let jewelry sit for a couple minutes, remove and dry with clean towel or microfiber cloth.
- Enjoy the new sparkle and shine of your jewelry
In order to prevent tarnishing in the future, wrap your jewelry in jeweler’s tissue paper and store it in a tightly sealed zip lock bag.
Although Ice.com jewelry experts recommend a manufactured and approved silver polish, we know many of us lead busy lives and can’t make it to the store or can’t wait a week for our polish to come in. Don’t fret because we’ve outlined the top home remedies to clean your gemstone, gold and silver jewelry. Check them out here!
If you have any questions about jewelry maintenance, care and storage or need helping finding that perfect piece, ask us in the comments below or log on to Ice.com to talk with a jewelry expert today!
Have an Ice Day!
When speaking with friends and acquaintances, I’ve noticed that many people are unaware of how to properly care for their gold jewelry so I decided to post a few pointers.
First of all, it is important to know when to take it off. I know women who never remove their wedding rings, no matter what the circumstances. This is misplaced sentiment, however, as many activities such as sports, housework and gardening are likely to bring the ring into contact with destructive chemicals which will eat away at the gold and eventually make it unwearable. Additionally,chlorine and other disinfectant chemicals found in hot tubs and swimming pools can react to the alloys in gold and result in discoloration.
When you do remove your gold jewelry, you should wrap it in a soft cloth and keep it away from both costume jewelry and sunlight as sunlight can dim the gold’s glow.
Gold jewelry should be cleaned with a soft, non-abrasive material and soft, lint free cloth. There are cleaning solutions available which I would recommend for delicate or intricately carved gold pieces. I would recommend occasional (once every year or two) visits to your local jeweler for a professional cleaning and inspection. With the proper care, your gold can last a lifetime.
Just in case you are in the mood to buy, check out Ice.com Gold Jewelry selection here and add to your collection.