August…the month where everyone’s trying to squeeze in as much of summer fun as they can before the dreaded September comes along. I think of it as a transition month before back to school time and fall begins. All the stores are fully stocked on fall clothing but yet you don’t want to give up your summery bright colors just yet.
The perfect color for this transitory month is green. Also happens to be the color of August’s birthstone Peridot. It’s a great shade of green that fits nicely in both summer and fall.
For all you August babies and curious cats out there, here are some interesting tidbits you might not have known about Peridot.
- One color available – Peridot is one of the few gemstones that is found in only one color. It does have different shades of green ranging from a yellowy green to an olive green depending on the amount of iron.
- An anti-depressant – The Romans believed Peridot release negative energy and calms nerves. It leaves a clear path to the heart and heals emotional wounds from the past. So next time you need a confidence boost put on your favorite Peridot jewelry piece.
- Happy 16th Anniversary – Peridot is said to be the appropriate gemstone to give as a gift of celebrating 16 years of wedded bliss.
- Cleopatra’s “Emeralds” – Queen Cleopatra made Emeralds famous as one of her favorite gems but what most don’t know is that some of her “Emeralds” in her jewels were actually Peridots.
- Costly Peridots – At one time, Peridot was more valuable than diamonds. Who would of thunk it?
What do you think of Peridot? Do you have any jewelry pieces with this gem?